Bartjan About a Recent Assignment
Of course I picked up on this challenge and started looking for parts.
In the storage room I found a suitable vacuum chamber, a frame, a pump and a valve. I got to work!
When I had determined that all components were working properly and that there was no contamination present, I brought the vacuum chamber to the AMOLF workshop. Here they added a few extra ports that could come in handy for future purposes. One of those ideas was adding an ellipsometer that allows researchers to very precisely measure the thickness of material layers while they are being exposed to plasma.
The set-up is now ready to make plasma using nitrogen, but we will work on switching to hydrogen plasma in the future.
What I like about the set-up is that I was able to install web cams that make you see what happens inside.
I now have a video that was shot from inside the chamber while it generates plasma.